Saturday, 13 May 2017

Coin Cutting

I had the idea of sawing a 1942 penny into a jigsaw for Brendas 75'th birthday in a few weeks, so I bought a Jewelers saw
and some 6/0 piercing saw blades 0.007" thick 0.014" depth with 76 teeth per inch and made a 'V' notch to clamp onto the table
I have a tin of old pennies and 1/2 pennies in the shed mainly being used for washers with a hole drilled in the middle. I hold the penny with one hand over the 'V' notch clamped to the table and saw free hand with the other. I started off with x9 pieces to learn how to saw, as the blades are about the thickness of a hair and snap if you look at them, but with a good hand-eye coordination and plenty of Patience ! it's easy enough.

 I don't think I'll go any smaller than x25 pieces though as it's hard to build the jigsaw with them afterwards. Round the edge is OK but there's not enough pattern on the others to follow. I found it harder than the cutting.

in the next photo up you can just see the teeth on the blade
 I've since found out that from 1940 to 1943 all pennies were stamped as 1940 so thinking about it a 1942 half crown which is 50% Silver should make a better present,
 had a practice with one I had 

just need to E-Bay a 1942 one now
Cheers Danny

Sunday, 24 July 2016

Do the Floats work ?

Brown - put back
lots of Perch - put back
Tiger Trout - put back
Rainbow Trout - put in freezer

Yes !



Saturday, 4 June 2016

Avons Painted

Following on from the last post ;-)
Tip 1" and stem 2" and I decided to whip a smaller eye (than the Reed floats) on, then painted with Acrylic paint
then x3 coats of Yacht varnish with 24 hours between coats, hung over stove to dry


***** Gone Fishing

Monday, 9 May 2016

Teddys' Avons

The 'Whipping' tool turns into a Lathe
cutting 2" of 1/2" Balsa wood dowel and drilling from either end
then super gluing a BBQ skewer through
 before sanding with a Nail file sandpaper board


 just to descide tip and stem length then seal, paint and varnish don't think I'll whip an eye on but use a thin silicone rubber top and bottom to hold it on the line.
Work in progress.


Thursday, 5 May 2016

Reed Floats part 2

Thought I'd have a play with my new 'Whipping' tool
but first I made some Bobbin holders rather than keep swaping cotton



 then I had the idea to make them semi self cocking to save shotting on the line


Here's the first batch
Just thought I'd share

Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Reed Fishing Floats

Decided to make a batch of Reed and BBQ Bamboo (skewer) Floats
So an Expedition for some Reeds
Think I've enough
needed a holder to keep them organised so while Mrs QDanT was out took over the Kitchen
then back to the front room
the Bamboo tips and stem glued in with Super glue
came up with a Mk2 mod for the holder
used thin Brass picture wire wrapped round a nail to form an eye before whipping on
painted the tip with Acrylic white then x2 coats of Fluorescent Orange then painted the whole Float with clear two part Epoxy,
it said 30 minutes working time but after 5 minutes it was like trying to paint Snot so I only mixed a little
and painted them x4 at a time any left over, painted on the next eye whippings to give me somewhere to hold when dry



While making these I found an Oak gall and made one out of it, it turned out well so :-
I went out on an ‘Oak Apple’ expedition and managed to find some down the old disused railway line and seen as this was near the ‘Punchbowl Inn’ sat out in the sunshine for a few pints and a pipe thinking about making the eye whipping easier. Back home and down to the Shed and a route in my ‘scrap (it’ll come in handy one day) bin’ then out with the welder to make :-
 lots of control being hand turned

and the Oak apple lends itself to beeing drilled through by already having one hole in where the Wasp came out
 with it threaded through the Oak apple I used the 'tail stock width of 2" to cut the extra Bamboo off then a drop of Super glue, a coat of white Acrylic and two Orange, it was then coated with two part clear Epoxy, as the Reed Floats
It lends it's self to doing some fancy whipping to re-enforce the Reed floats, here's one waiting to be painted orange then this time I'm going to try Yatch varnish as the top coat instead of Epoxy