Saturday 25 July 2020

24th July Hawthorn beach and Shippersea Bay

Left home 05:30 and drove to Easington, parked and walked along the clifftop path to Hawthorn beach, breakfast while
waiting for the tide to go out , to get to Shippersea Bay
so had an hour walking Hawthorn beach
came back and thought the tide might have gone out enough so set off
a couple of coves and headlands I'd to wait another 15 minutes for the tide to go out some more
before arriving at Shippersea Bay, looking South
and looking back to the last headland I came round
The Bear wanted to go to the Sculpture Park first



Then it was 4 hours walking up and down the beach with a stop for lunch

Set off back to beat the incoming tide
Hawthorn beach comes back into view
Spent another hour walking the beach
before climbing up the gorge under the railwy viaduct
Then walked back along the cliff top footpath passing Shippersea Bay where the tide had come in
Walked back to Easington where I was glad of a flask of cold water in the car, it had been a hot day. Drove home and I don't know if it was because it was a Friday but there were some speed lunatics on the A19, A61 and A59. Washed the finds this morning
Just thought I'd share, comments welcome














6 comments:

  1. Danny is the only person I know tho can make a photo of a sandwich interesting. Hard to tell the size of the ring. Is it for a person's finger? Great stuff as usual. John from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John the 'ring' is the top/neck off a stoneware bottle 1-3/4" diameter with a 1" hole I'm on with grafting it to the stoneware ink bottle, with the missing top, from Parton Bay

      Delete
  2. Hi DaD💓
    The Sandwiches look tasty😋
    The weather looked changeable..
    Crusher amongest the sculptures😂
    Lots of good finds Treasures..
    Big Hugs XXXXX Love justine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine Crusher let me have some of his sandwich crumbs ! the first couple of photo's were 'crack of dawn' breakfast waiting for the sun to come up, while the tide went out, when it did it was blue sky and hot sunshine all day. Again I ran out of water as it's heavy to carry in in a haversack, I also got the tops of my feet sunburnt paddling in the surf they looked like x2 lobsters and the skin peeled off a couple of days later !
      XXX Dad

      Delete
  3. Hi Danny! Wow, some real treasures you found! I'm wondering, is this beach particularly good for sea glass? Or is it more a case of perseverance?? Also the sea glass mobiles are beautiful :) I'm inspired! XX Nad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nad perseverance plays a big part so does walking up and down in straight lines only looking ahead and if you see a piece go to it and pick it up if you see a piece on the way and pick that one up you get distracted and then can't see the one you were after in the first place, it's all about getting your 'eye in' at the end of a line I'll usually take one pace to the side and start another line back the way I came, but sometimes I'll turn round and come back on the same line and still pick pieces up I missed the first time. They do say 'patience is a virtue' Good Luck xxx Danny

      Delete